Monday, September 8, 2014

Café Love

My 6 Most Loved Cafés in Bacolod


Coffee is my ultimate addiction and food is my first love. I can’t last a day without a cup of that miracle beverage. This has been my greatest companion through work. It just keeps me going and going. In short, my battery! And coffee time is a best occasion to spend with friends.

Yes, my dear readers, I have already come to an age where I no longer find partying and lots of booze as my way to bond with friends. So I have embraced my maturity and switched from alcohol to caffeine and food (lotsa!) As for food, well I’m just the type who is always hungry. So may it be street or restaurant food, as long as my palate loves the taste (and it’s clean), I’m a happy camper.

Bacolod, for those unfamiliar with the place, is located in the middle part of the Philippines, specifically in Western Visayas. Our City is well-known as the “City of Smiles” and our colorful Masskara Festival that we celebrate every October. Not only are we identified through these, we are part of a province, Negros Occidental, which is branded as the “Sugarbowl of the Philippines” for the reason that we generate half of the country’s sugar production.

There are several coffee shops in Bacolod that visitors will truly enjoy. I, even as a local, have not yet been to all of them. They are just so many and so little time. So I have a few favorite spots to enjoy my afternoon (or night) and my coffee.

6. Café Umá

In our dialect, Hiligaynon, Umá means hacienda or farm. Oh yeah, our province has numerous umás or sugar fields. Café Umá serves Western and Asian dishes. Although pricier than most, their food are worth every penny. People say they serve the best pasta but what I love about this café is the coffee and pizza. They serve a variety of coffee that will suit your needs from lattes to espressos. And their pizza? A pleasure in every slice. Fine cheese, meat and nothing but meat and that oven-baked crust will undeniably make my day.

Located beside L'Fisher Hotel

5. Cantina Mondo Artisanal Deli and Cafe

Located at the back of a mall, this café is very accessible. So after a day of shopping, you can just sit and relax with a cup of brewed coffee and a quick bite to refill the energy you have spent getting in to one store to another. You will be able to find Bacolod or Negros delicacies which are usually best for “pasalubongs”. They serve wines, sausages, main courses, sandwiches, desserts and a whole lot more. 

What I like about Mondo is the Milo Dinosaur, a chocolate shake topped with chocolate powder. Just every kid’s dream! The coffee, house blend or Benguet Arabica, can surely make your day. And nothing compares to their sticky toffee pudding and banoffee pie, simply delectable. The sticky toffee pudding is made of a very soft sponge cake filled with luscious toffee sauce. Ohhhh…Am gonna get one after this! Their banoffee pie consists of banana, toffee, cream and condensed milk is so tasty!

The Banoffee Pie. Cantina Mondo is locate at Central Citywalk, Robinson's Bacolod

4. Calea

Just one dessert comes into mind when people hear Calea, Imported Chocolate Cake. When you say chocolate cake, it has to be Calea, nothing else. This is a distinguished dessert shop in Bacolod. They offer a variety of cakes, I say tons of choices, that one will enjoy. They offer Blueberry cheesecake, mudpie, oreo cheesecake, chocolate dome, semi-freddos, oh they are just too many. And what best goes with cake? You are on the right path, my friend. A mug of coffee! Their latte and cappuccino are really good. Coffee with a hint of milk. Or is it the other way around?  Two words: BEST COMBO! If you are a desert or cake addict, you may need to go to rehab after you visit this establishment.


Calea at Lacson St. Above are the Imported Chocolate Cake and Strawberry Semi-Freddo (Ice cream cake)


3. Café Bobs
I consider this as one of our city’s pride. This is one big café in Bacolod. And we may even consider it as our local counterpart for Starbucks. They started as a small coffee shop along my high school and in front of a university. I assume their target market that time were college students who needed a place to study that allowed them to eat and drink coffee at the same time (which is not allowed in the libraries). And it was a big hit! Surely, we had to get in a long line to be able to get the ever popular “frap.” They, indeed, have live up to that standards they had started in 2000, brewed coffee and frappes, coffee or cream based, got everyone hooked. They have since expanded to many branches and an array of food choices. My favorites are the carbonara and lasagna. Their carbonara is really creamy and the lasagna is super cheesy! Their CAB Gelato is also a must try. I love the bubble gum flavor. It just brings out the kid in all of us.

 
CAB Gelato

Creamy Carbonara and the very cheesy Lasagna with garlic bread.

2. The Coffee Station and Green Tree Gelato Café
Started as a small coffee shop at the second floor of a mall in Bacolod, The Coffee Station caught the heart of the locals. With various choices of coffee and drinks, they were able to gain many regulars. Not to forget, their staffs are super friendly. Before the law for public smoking was passed, this café used to be the only place in the mall that customers are allowed to smoke. 

They then branched out, literally just outside the mall, into Green Tree Gelato Café. The same drinks with Coffee Station but with Gelato. My favorite, ever since I started drinking coffee, is their famed Granita. It is a slush type drink, not made of fruits, but of coffee. If the weather is so hot and you wanna drink coffee, Granita is the best choice. Their house blend iced tea is as well one of a kind. Made with real lemon and served with 3 slices of lemon in the glass, this is totally a thirst quencher. And when you are torn between wanting to get drink or a gelato, no worries, you can turn your Gelato into a drink. Satisfaction!

 
The Granita!!!!
1.  Kuppa Coffee and Tea



Kuppa was derived from the term “Cup of” or cuppa, which is a slang for cup of coffee or cup of tea. It is on top of my list. Why? Here are a few reasons. Their booth is comfy. I love most of their food choices. The place has a very nice ambience. Staffs are friendly and alert. They have a wide range of selections for coffee, tea, sodas and other drinks. And have I mentioned I love their food? Oh yeah! I did! But I like mentioning it again. 

Let’s start with the Wimpy’s Burger. It is an open faced burger with the patty and bun covered with gravy on one side and the other bun covered with melted cheese. It may look messy but once it reaches your taste buds you wouldn’t mind. Truly a genius creation! 

Wimpy's Burger

The Mark’s Oriental Salad is not one of my favorites (since I am a fully fledged carnivore) but according to people who have tried it, it is one of the best on the menu. Moving on, the Eugene’s Favorite Pizza: all meat! There is nothing more that I can say. I’m a hardcore meat eater. 
 
Mark's Oriental Salad and Eugene's Favorite Pizza

And lastly, one of my much loved on the menu is the Pasta in Pesto Sauce. I admit the best Pesto Pasta in town is found in Trattoria Uma, yet it is too expensive for frequent consumption. While Kuppa’s Pasta in pesto sauce is affordable and tastes delish!

Pasta in Pesto Sauce

Now let’s go with the drinks. I am not much of a tea drinker. Given the fact that I love brewed coffee, my frequent order is the Iced White Cloud Mocha. 2 shots of espresso, milk and sugar syrup on ice feels heavenly. Good name choice for the beverage. You will feel like you are on the clouds because it is extremely yummy.

Iced White Cloud Mocha
So if you happen to be wandering around Bacolod, especially during the Masskara Festival in October, try these cafes/restos to experience a one of a kind food and caffeine feast, Bacolod style! We live up to our city’s name, “City of Smiles”.  It is because once any of these cuisines and the drink makes contact with your palate, that smile will be on your face for a long time. 
An advice of caution though, the moment you start indulging these food, you just can’t stop. And beyond any doubt, you will keep coming back for more. Like an addiction, the cravings will eat you up. Nahhh! Just kidding! If you have friends from Bacolod, you can always have them buy one for you and have it sent through an overnight courier. Hahahaha.

‘Till the next food rampage! Ta ta!

1 comment: